The Primary PE and Sport Premium – Autumn 2017
It is an exciting time in PE and School Sport. The world is waking up to the wide impact that being physically active can have on children’s lives, as a result, the primary PE and School sport premium has increased significantly.
We mentioned in our last blog that the latest and largest amount of funding so far is landing in schools this month. Schools with more than 16 pupils will get £16,000 plus £10 per additional pupil. This means a typical primary school with a two-form intake will get in the region of £19,000.
When will it arrive?
Local authority schools will receive 7/12 of the funding allocation on 31st October 2017 and 5/12 on 30th April 2018. Academies will receive the same payment proportions on 1st November 2017 and 1st May 2018. If your school falls outside of these types, you can find out more information on the DfE website.
Establishments should now publish how many pupils in year 6 are meeting the national curriculum requirement for swimming. Pupils should swim ‘competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 meters’.
AfPE, along with YST has developed a great resource to help your school record and report on all aspects of the premium; there is even an exemplar which we have helpfully linked to here! All reports must be published on your school’s website by April 2018.
Below are some useful points to consider concerning the PE and School Sport premium. AfPE are keen to dispel some common myths!
- The correct title of the funding is The Primary PE and Sport Premium.
- A school must publish on their website how they have spent or are planning to spend the money using the DfE commissioned website template.
- National Curriculum Swimming and Water Safety attainment must be evidenced.
- Provision should be reviewed, looking at the curriculum first and then at extracurricular sport and activity.
- Impact of the investment on pupils must be clearly articulated.
- Schools should also consider how they might sustain any activity or initiative if the funding ceased.
If your school needs planning to support the delivery of the National Curriculum take a look at what we do at The PE Hub. Our lesson plans and schemes of work offer support across a wide range of PE activities and include resources such as videos and assessment tools.
Enter your details to receive information on how we work with schools & organisations like yours. Or if you have a question, either contact us or fill out the form below.